Skip Navigation

Are you getting a next-gen console?

Vu1canF0rce Avatar
Vu1canF0rce GB Gamer ***

Post by Vu1canF0rce on Sept 12, 2020 12:03:49 GMT -7

Every 3-5 years the big names in video games -- Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo to name a few -- put out a new console usually around the holiday season. This time around, we have the Xbox Series S or X (maybe a V as well)? Sony has the PS5, and it's hinted that there will be a Nintendo Switch 2, but not likely this holiday season.

Here's the Xbox Series X and Series S linksHere's the PS5 link

Andrew
Vu1canF0rce Avatar
Vu1canF0rce GB Gamer ***

Post by Vu1canF0rce on Sept 12, 2020 12:05:24 GMT -7

I'm going to get the Series X. I'll preorder it most likely through BestBuy in about 10 days if I can get through to them in this weird pandemic of a time because I can put it on my BB card and pay no interest for 18 months, I believe. That's assuming they allow that.

I've said it for years that with each passing iteration the graphics get more and more life-like. We're almost to the point where gaming is like the movie Avatar or even more realistic than that. This next-gen has shown us some trailers and gameplay of what's to come, but I think we'll have to see for ourselves what they look like. With Ray tracing giving more appeal to lighting or water for example, that helps the realism. If not this upcoming gen, perhaps the next will meet this expectation. Put another way, it's like the pixel resolution battle going on. Can your eye really see 4k or 8k vs 1440p? Eventually the human eye cannot tell a difference in the advancements/enhancements made with technology and it'll all be for show or a ploy one day. There are debates all around on this so I'm not going into it, but that's the contrast I'm making that games will get really realistic to a point we're almost watching (but playing) a live-action movie in the theatre or walking around in everyday life.

What are your thoughts?
Andrew
Vu1canF0rce Avatar
Vu1canF0rce GB Gamer ***
Andrew