Skip Navigation

Playing a Console Online

thejason Avatar
thejason GB Gamer ***

Post by thejason on Jan 7, 2020 8:16:00 GMT -7

Who has played against other players online?  How do you compare it to playing alone or with non-online people?   How did you do - as far as the playing is concerned?   Finally, what equipment and connection did you use in your online endeavors?  :)

Note: Myself, I haven't played online - but it sounds interesting.  Well, how is the best way I could go about it?
Kaynil Avatar
Kaynil GB Newbie *

Post by Kaynil on Jan 17, 2020 10:37:12 GMT -7

I am not huge about playing online, especially not with strangers, but I've played with one or two friends around.

As much as possible, I'd recommend you get an ethernet connection for the console if you are planning to connect online with other people. With fighting games and possibly FPS, it can make a huge difference because your connection stays stable and reduce the possibility of losing signal and frames.

Depending on the console is the style of the equipment. I bought myself an A10 Zelda headset because it has an extra Y cable that helps me connect the headphones to two sources. If I am using the Playstation 4, I can just plug the headset without the extension and it will be enough since the console got the ability to handle voice calls. For the switch, I use the cable because I have to use the phone or the computer for the call. So I have the microphone cable on the phone and the other one to my console or TV, so I can hear both. It's come pretty handy, so I'd definitely recommend an adaptor like that.

The headset I am not that picky. So long it works fine. I actually like earphones just as much to chat and play.
Vu1canF0rce Avatar
Vu1canF0rce GB Gamer ***

Post by Vu1canF0rce on Jan 25, 2020 10:03:05 GMT -7

In my younger days when online became a thing, I played online all the time. It didn't matter with who or what platform, it was just fun and exciting (and a new thing!). However, nowadays I'm at a point where I only play online with friends or coworkers who have the same game titles I do. Sure, the online landscape has always had its toxicity, but it's way, way worse now than before. I don't need 13 year olds screaming at me and older self-righteous people getting butt hurt. Xbox is my preferred platform. I'm still building my PC so I can get back into the PC realm so that'll be a while.
Andrew
Dave Avatar
Dave GB Newbie *

Post by Dave on Feb 1, 2020 14:08:53 GMT -7

I like playing online with other people to be fair, Wether it be with strangers or people I know either online or in person.

Depending on what game is played online then the outcomes can vary, GTA for example i like to play with people who just like to get on with it and do the missions and the businesses etc .. not really a fan of being in games where people just make it there total online time annoying others with unsportsman like gaming.

With something like Call of Duty the matchmaking is mostly based on the skill level of the lobby .. If im playing with the guys from work then my performance is totally poor but if i play on my own in random lobbies then i can usually come out on top or in the top 3 with points / kills etc.

Overall, playing online is fun but you need to do what is best for you.

Come check us out at the Movie Center
Deleted Avatar
Deleted

Post by Deleted on Feb 1, 2020 14:39:22 GMT -7

Honestly, I've recently had to take a break from competitive online gaming. I try to stick with Co-Op games now. I used to have an xbox 360, and would play CoD, Titanfall, halo, etc. But lately it's been affecting my mental health, even in things like Overwatch or Rocket league. Whenever I'd play competitively, I'd see what my skill level used to be, and be extremely frustrated that I couldn't play at that level anymore.

I still play a lot of social games, but very few competitive ones, or if I do, it's only for an hour a night at max.
Dave Avatar
Dave GB Newbie *

Post by Dave on Feb 1, 2020 14:44:46 GMT -7

rayjirdeoxys Avatar
Honestly, I've recently had to take a break from competitive online gaming. I try to stick with Co-Op games now. I used to have an xbox 360, and would play CoD, Titanfall, halo, etc. But lately it's been affecting my mental health, even in things like Overwatch or Rocket league. Whenever I'd play competitively, I'd see what my skill level used to be, and be extremely frustrated that I couldn't play at that level anymore.

I still play a lot of social games, but very few competitive ones, or if I do, it's only for an hour a night at max.

Basically the same for me now ...

When i used to play back in the day i could play the online games and play them well .. but now after so long away it's hard to try and get back in to the flow of a game.

But yeah since i moved in with the other half i barely get a lot of time to play games now as she ends up hogging my xbox to watch netflix serials.

Vu1canF0rce Avatar
Vu1canF0rce GB Gamer ***

Post by Vu1canF0rce on Feb 1, 2020 16:49:36 GMT -7

Same for me 

I play with coworkers and don't do well either. haha
I don't know what it is, but with the Battlefield franchise I used to do well, but when I swapped and started playing CoD for the first time ever it's like I've never played a video game before -_-
Right now, it's been a busy afternoon, so I'm relaxing (ha, right) playing CoD:MW right now. Not doing so hot.
Last edited Feb 1, 2020 16:51:14 GMT -7 by Vu1canF0rce
Andrew
Dave Avatar
Dave GB Newbie *

Post by Dave on Feb 1, 2020 23:46:25 GMT -7

Vu1canF0rce Avatar
Same for me 

I play with coworkers and don't do well either. haha
I don't know what it is, but with the Battlefield franchise I used to do well, but when I swapped and started playing CoD for the first time ever it's like I've never played a video game before -_-
Right now, it's been a busy afternoon, so I'm relaxing (ha, right) playing CoD:MW right now. Not doing so hot.

Yeah can imagine not .

Im not sure wether it's a recent update or just something on the game type / mode we were playing but it was just spawning everyone anywhere ... Even behind you when your on the opposite team so depending on who spawns where you just died instantly lol

I will see if i can get a few hours on tonight so can play without my workmates and actually start getting in lobbies more inline with my skill level and start getting at least double kills lol

boytoy Avatar
boytoy GB Newbie *

Post by boytoy on May 27, 2020 13:22:18 GMT -7

The game alone and the online game with other players on the Internet do not compare. I choose online games with others because it's much more exciting. I like to use the joystick and turn it up to maximum volume. So I can spend the whole day, I don't even eat or drink anything;)
Last edited May 27, 2020 13:26:25 GMT -7 by boytoy
Vu1canF0rce Avatar
Vu1canF0rce GB Gamer ***

Post by Vu1canF0rce on Jun 10, 2020 5:48:17 GMT -7

boytoy Avatar
The game alone and the online game with other players on the Internet do not compare. I choose online games with others because it's much more exciting. I like to use the joystick and turn it up to maximum volume. So I can spend the whole day, I don't even eat or drink anything;)

I sorta envy you. I say "sorta" because I know where you're coming. In my teens I did exactly this. Some of my favorite memories actually included food though lol. Regardless if I was gaming solo or with a friend (think Halo 3 campaign with friend online) I/we'd get cases of soda and order lots of pizza and game all day and night.

Nowadays I'm lucky if I find the time to get around an hour or two in a week. :(
Andrew