Skip Navigation

Xbox XCloud

DiscussionXBOX
Vu1canF0rce Avatar
Vu1canF0rce GB Gamer ***

Post by Vu1canF0rce on Dec 9, 2019 19:52:48 GMT -7

I did say I would revisit the game pass conversation at some point ... 

Vu1canF0rce Avatar
I know this post is old and the Game Pass service has matured a bit, BUT one reason I have not converted my Gold membership is because they cycle out games too much. "Too much?" Granted the frequency is probably every couple months, think of it like this: They're catering to the people who play games frequently and regularly, and most likely those who don't go after all the bells and whistles in a game and just want to play them all. There is another side of this spectrum of the causal gamers (which I've slowly drifted into this category) who like to play a game through-and-through, get immersed in it, and likely play it over the course of a longer duration (because of life and priorities, right?). Well, if they nix a game you have to buy it at a "Generous" discount (like $5-10 dollars off usually) and go from there.
Don't get me wrong. I'm an Xbox fan for(eseeably for) life, but I know I should hang onto my Gold while I still can until they force convert people or something else.

I'm might make a separate post on this topic, but right now, I just got accepted to, and am piloting the new Xbox xCloud beta. Depending on how it goes, and if (more like when) it comes out in the hopefully near-future, I may change my mind if I can play on my phone as well as console and PC. I guess it'd be a Gold + Ultimate + xCloud combo ... the Gold Ultimate xCloud. ha-ha

... but right now I wanted to make a post about XCloud. So, being an avid Microsoft fan (yeah, yeah), I try to beta test what I can get my hands on. I've been beta testing XCloud, Microsoft's mobile streaming platform, that I hope (know) will be part of Gold or Game Pass one day. I was a tad skeptical in the beginning thinking "A 1080, 1440, or 4k game streaming down to my phone without being garbage?", but I gave it a whirl. There were only 4 games at launch: Halo 5 Guardians, Forza 4 Killer Instinct, and Gears 5. The quality was awesome and response rate was superb. I was on 4G at work and wifi at home, so my testing and comments here are about 4G. Although the experience was great, the game offerings became dull, so I put it down for a couple weeks (in school so that takes priority). However, I got a notification somewhere that there was an update of game offers and some back-end app tweaks (as most apps have). Now there are about 65-ish games to pick from -- some top A-list titles down to a couple indies. I'm loving it so far and am amazed at the offering in general. I haven't gotten into the multi-player yet so I'll review that with a reply later on when I get a chance.

I'm looking forward to a preview of what they say will be their price point when this releases, and what, if anything, it gets packaged with.

Until next time!

Andrew
Andrew
Vu1canF0rce Avatar
Vu1canF0rce GB Gamer ***
Xbox XCloud Posted Sept 7, 2020 20:48:14 GMT -7

Post by Vu1canF0rce on Sept 7, 2020 20:48:14 GMT -7

So I'm revisiting this because it seems Microsoft has finished their beta phase of the XCloud and it is being rolled into their Xbox Game Pass Ultimate (soon to just be Game Pass Ultimate since they're multi-platform now.) I'm sure I'm not the first person to forecast something like this might happen, but it's cool to see the actuality of it. I still haven't converted over to Ultimate just yet, but I did read very briefly that Gold will be getting a price hike (to either kick people out of it or forcefully entice people to upgrade anyway). I'm going to hang onto what I got, as I said before, until something forces it. We'll see what Microsoft does here in the 2020 holiday season with Series X coming out and that being their launching pad for stirring up changes with their multiplayer plans.

We'll see what happens!
Andrew