WASD vs Arrows

Discussion
keranov Avatar
keranov GB Gamer ***

Post by keranov on Jun 3, 2018 12:55:25 GMT -7

Whenever you play a game where you need to drive, which buttons do you use? WASD or the arrows?

When I play GTA V I prefer to use the WASD buttons but when I play simulators like ETS 2 I use the arrows.
fantanoice Avatar
fantanoice GB Newbie *

Post by fantanoice on Jun 19, 2018 5:54:10 GMT -7

Most PC games use the WASD layout for movement and mouse for looking around / aiming. I pretty much adapted to that. As a kid I'd use the arrows and was pretty shocked when I found out WASD was a 'thing'.

Today, I'd say I prefer WASD and mouse because it's closer to a controller. However, I do prefer the 'down' arrow being directly under the 'up' arrow, whereas 'S' is slightly to the right of 'W'. I'm surprised keyboard manufacturers haven't done anything to address that.
Aussie Game Developer. Let me know your favourite podcast.
ash Avatar
ash GB Gamer ***

Post by ash on Jun 24, 2018 9:12:45 GMT -7

I think it depends on a few things like the type of game and how many controls you will need to use for the game. If you are playing a game where you only new the four keys and maybe the spacebar, then the arrow keys are probably a much better choice. But if you need to use various keys (such as the number keys, F1, F2 buttons etc.) then the WASD keys would be much better. The WASD keys are a lot better when you need to use a mouse as well because it would be awkward to use the arrows and a mouse.

A Forum For Those Looking To Earn Money Online | Redeem PayPal & Giftcards!

Post by Ben the tick on Jun 26, 2018 15:33:24 GMT -7

I've found both WASD and arrow keys serve different functions in games these days, WASD will likely control player movement, but arrows will control a minimap or some other form of panning. Where they are interchangeable, I prefer WASD due to it being surrounded by other buttons for other hotkey usage.
Fleshreaper Avatar
Fleshreaper GB Newbie *

Post by Fleshreaper on Jun 30, 2018 8:51:13 GMT -7

Don't take it the wrong way, but I got a good laugh out of the "buttons" :P Gotta use the WASD for driving though for sure and to compliment Ben, WASD for left analog - arrow keys for right. No? Eh? ... I don't know where I am.
meowsepad Avatar
meowsepad GB Newbie *

Post by meowsepad on Jul 5, 2018 8:22:07 GMT -7

I greatly prefer the WASD keys because the arrow keys feel awkward to use because they are so close to my mouse since I'm right-handed. When my dad plays games, he usually prefers to use the arrow keys because he's left handed and WASD feels awkward to him.
ivan4 Avatar
ivan4 GB Newbie *