DotD GB Newbie *
LimeRain Avatar
LimeRain GB Regular **

Check out our academic mega thread!

Computer Scientist Undergrad with knowledge in Math & Psychology
keranov Avatar
keranov GB Gamer ***

Post by keranov on Apr 14, 2018 23:49:46 GMT -7

I am going to give one more vote for a custom made personal computer. LimeRain gave a link to a very useful website which you can use to select the parts for your computer. There are also forums which you can use to get help and find answers about your questions from experts.

I am also a registered member on PCPartPicker with 800+ posts at this moment.

Now about pre-built PCs. I have seen CyberPowerPC are making good computers without being much overpriced. Maybe also iBuyPower but never have checked that brand. Alienware is like Apple - overpriced and... weak. Better to avoid it.
Last edited Apr 14, 2018 23:50:45 GMT -7 by keranov
antonline Avatar
antonline GB Regular **
GamingLyfe Avatar
GamingLyfe GB Addict ****
Here to game and network with gamers alike, feel free to message me!
alice Avatar
alice GB Newbie *

Post by alice on Jul 25, 2018 18:41:20 GMT -7

Straight up, go to reddit, /r/pcmasterrace, go to the wiki. They have a list of good price:performance builds in varying price ranges, all tried and true combos put together by people who did the thinking for you. Putting a pc together is like playing legos and it can save you a lot of money, don't buy prebuilt.
thebestgamerz Avatar
thebestgamerz GB Newbie *

Post by thebestgamerz on Jul 25, 2018 22:46:06 GMT -7

There is no real best gaming brand as computers are composed of easy to put together parts it will mostly come down to how good value for money you are getting from the build (Alienware is generally crap value for money). If you want to truly get the best bang for your buck, then building a computer from used parts is probably the best way of doing things.
jerlene Avatar
jerlene GB Newbie *

Post by jerlene on Oct 7, 2018 15:05:10 GMT -7

I would say Alienware, too. But HP came out, or is coming out(I don't remember), with a gaming PC that will surpass Alienware by far.
I was lucky enough to check it out before it was being released and it was amazing.
More space, faster speeds, incredible graphics card, etc. Hefty price tag though.
A Leaf in the Wind Avatar
A Leaf in the Wind GB Newbie *

Post by A Leaf in the Wind on Oct 8, 2018 1:26:04 GMT -7

The answer would be to just construct your own. I was going to do that until my brother found me a pre-built that has everything that I was going to buy for around the same price. So if you don't want to build one then you could just do that. Don't get an Alienware. That is just a meme computer and they aren't really that good.
Last edited Oct 8, 2018 1:26:31 GMT -7 by A Leaf in the Wind
Vu1canF0rce Avatar
Vu1canF0rce GB Gamer ***

Post by Vu1canF0rce on Oct 11, 2018 11:23:07 GMT -7

I custom-built mine about 11-12 years ago (I can't remember exactly), but there was no "pc master race" -- or at least it was not as hyped or factioned ("PC vs Console") as it is today -- and so I enjoyed my long-running PC for so many years, but now it is a dinosaur and I'm looking to build again. My general rule is to always custom build when you can (a bit more expensive but less proprietary with parts and form factoring. I have been out of the loop for too long to know who's good, better, and best. It used to be AlienWare before Dell got a hold of them.
Andrew
oo Avatar
oo GB Gamer ***
xxinfectedxx Avatar
xxinfectedxx GB Addict ****

Post by xxinfectedxx on Mar 4, 2019 17:10:11 GMT -7

There is no best gaming brand as systems can easily be put together with simple parts. It'll mostly come down to how good the quality of the product is for value for money. Unless your like me who isn't that experienced in building machines. I've always chosen Acer and Acer has to be my favourite manufacturer for gaming computers.