Spyro the Dragon Remaster

DiscussionPlayStation
elli Avatar
elli GB Staff *****

Post by elli on Feb 15, 2018 12:06:33 GMT -7

For those of you who enjoyed Spyro the Dragon in the early days:

www.ign.com/articles/2018/02/13/spyro-the-dragon-trilogy-remaster-reportedly-in-the-works

IGN has picked up that Vicarious Visions — the same Activision-owned game studio that remastered Crash Bandicoot — will be developing Spyro the Dragon, Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!, and Spyro: Year of the Dragon for PS4, due out September of this year! Keep in mind that IGN has been known to report based on rumors, so I would take this news with a grain of salt pending an official announcement from Activision, but such a release would make sense after the Crash remaster, and has the potential to attract a lot of new PS4 customers... counting myself among them.

What do you think? Would you purchase a remaster of the original Spyro trilogy?
Last edited Feb 26, 2018 22:19:57 GMT -7 by elli
Queen Avatar
Queen GB Newbie *

Post by Queen on Feb 18, 2018 19:50:33 GMT -7

For some unknown reasons, that article you linked is no longer available. I did read the same news elsewhere > www.gamespot.com/articles/spyro-the-dragon-remaster-for-ps4-coming-this-year/1100-6456753/

To speak honestly, though, I didn't expect this kind of remastered games to make the same success as the original. I played the game when it was on PS1, but I didn't love it to death. I'm not sure what the new platform can offer for this series. Then again, I didn't buy Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy for the same reason even though I played several Crash Bandicoot games on PS1. Hardcore fans may still buy it just to complete their collection, though. Maybe that's what Activision wants.

Let's see if we're going to hear the official statement next month.
Nergal Avatar
Nergal GB Staff *****
Last edited Feb 19, 2018 21:50:42 GMT -7 by Nergal

elli Avatar
elli GB Staff *****

Post by elli on Feb 22, 2018 13:02:57 GMT -7

Queen Avatar
To speak honestly, though, I didn't expect this kind of remastered games to make the same success as the original. I played the game when it was on PS1, but I didn't love it to death. I'm not sure what the new platform can offer for this series. Then again, I didn't buy Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy for the same reason even though I played several Crash Bandicoot games on PS1. Hardcore fans may still buy it just to complete their collection, though. Maybe that's what Activision wants.

Yeah, I think Activision is relying on hardcore fans of these older series to buy the remasters. And nostalgia. I've been hoping for this for years, and it just has to do with how much I played that series as a kid. A little weird, a little sad lol.

Nergal Avatar
I would love to replay the original Spyro trilogy, only had one of them growing up and the disc was lost to time.

There are also emulators, but they're difficult to get working, and then you have to actually track down the game files. Playing on a native console (albeit a newer version) is preferred.
Last edited Feb 22, 2018 13:03:07 GMT -7 by elli
GamingLyfe Avatar
GamingLyfe GB Addict ****

Post by GamingLyfe on Feb 22, 2018 13:56:15 GMT -7

elli Avatar
There are also emulators, but they're difficult to get working, and then you have to actually track down the game files. Playing on a native console (albeit a newer version) is preferred.
Hmm, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to make a thread in the old school board where we could start providing good sources for emulators and game files. :)
Here to game and network with gamers alike, feel free to message me!
megannatasha Avatar
megannatasha GB Addict ****

Post by megannatasha on Feb 22, 2018 14:49:07 GMT -7

Spyro was one of my favorite games to play growing up as well. I totally would purchase this game :) Super excited that they are remastering games of the 90s. This video talks about some changes that should be made, I agree with most of this, however, I wouldn't want them to change so much that it doesn't have that classic game play feel.

Queen Avatar
Queen GB Newbie *

Post by Queen on Feb 24, 2018 3:35:53 GMT -7

elli Avatar
Queen Avatar

Yeah, I think Activision is relying on hardcore fans of these older series to buy the remasters. And nostalgia. I've been hoping for this for years, and it just has to do with how much I played that series as a kid. A little weird, a little sad lol.
One of my childhood favorite anime titled Cardcaptor Sakura got a sequel last month and I just had to watch it for old times sake. The nostalgia was strong in the first few episodes but unfortunately didn't give anything special to keep me hooked.

I try not to keep my hopes up. Nostalgia can easily backfires. How are they going to entertain the 'modern me'? For example, what are they going to do with the attacks? I used to think that it's simple and fun, but now I want more maneuvers and options. Maybe that's just me, but relying on old fans only won't get them far.