Do you have a gaming laptop?

Question
daniel Avatar
daniel GB Newbie *

Post by daniel on Jan 1, 2019 10:18:48 GMT -7

I know most intense gamers seem to have a Desktop computer but when it comes to wanting to go mobile with your games a basic laptop doesn't typically work very well...either that or you end up hauling your Desktop around.

Do you have a gaming laptop along with your gaming Desktop?
xxinfectedxx Avatar
xxinfectedxx GB Addict ****

Post by xxinfectedxx on Jan 2, 2019 6:27:17 GMT -7

Yes, I own a Gaming Laptop, the brand is Acer. I've had the system for just under a year now and it works wonders. Here are the specifications and details about the Gaming PC. What do you all think of the platform I own. 

Processor - Intel(R) Core (TM) i5-8300H CPU 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz

RAM - 8.00GB (7.85GB Usable)

System  - 64-bit operating system, x64 processor Windows 10

Storage - 1TB (1000GB)

Pen and Touch - None

Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce Gtx

Full 1080 HD Display
LED Keys (Multi-Colour).

Last edited Jan 2, 2019 6:29:25 GMT -7 by xxinfectedxx
Lanbo Avatar
Lanbo GB Addict ****
Last edited Jan 2, 2019 8:17:22 GMT -7 by Lanbo
sig
xxinfectedxx Avatar

Post by xxinfectedxx on Jan 3, 2019 6:17:50 GMT -7

Lanbo Avatar
I have a nice lil Dell, it's cute. Inspiron 15.

, I'd recommend adding an SSD to your laptop! They're great. I'm guessing your 1TB is an HDD. 
Yep, I'm using a HDD. I always end up dropping my Laptop or knocking it as I'm always on the move. Would there be anyway of purchasing a HDD and modifying it without any corruption of the system?
gio Avatar
gio GB Newbie *

Post by gio on Jan 4, 2019 20:27:26 GMT -7

I have a MSI gaming laptop with a 128GB SSD and I love it! My laptop boots up in about two to three seconds which was always good if I was running out of time to do my homework. :P I shelled out more than I normally would have, but it's worth it.
Lanbo Avatar
Lanbo GB Addict ****

Post by Lanbo on Jan 5, 2019 14:20:33 GMT -7

xxinfectedxx Avatar
Lanbo Avatar
I have a nice lil Dell, it's cute. Inspiron 15.

, I'd recommend adding an SSD to your laptop! They're great. I'm guessing your 1TB is an HDD. 
Yep, I'm using a HDD. I always end up dropping my Laptop or knocking it as I'm always on the move. Would there be anyway of purchasing a HDD and modifying it without any corruption of the system?
Really easily! SSD's come in 2 sizes: 2.5" or 3.5"; check your laptop model's manual to see which it supports. It should be fairly straightforward, requiring only a screwdriver or so (the instructions would be in the manual or other support documentation on the Acer website). Even if you put only your games on the SSD, you'll notice an improvement. But having the OS there is the best; you could see a noticeable dip in your BIOS time as alluded to. Right on the money haha.
sig
xxinfectedxx Avatar

Post by xxinfectedxx on Mar 4, 2019 16:47:03 GMT -7

Lanbo Avatar
xxinfectedxx Avatar
Really easily! SSD's come in 2 sizes: 2.5" or 3.5"; check your laptop model's manual to see which it supports. It should be fairly straightforward, requiring only a screwdriver or so (the instructions would be in the manual or other support documentation on the Acer website). Even if you put only your games on the SSD, you'll notice an improvement. But having the OS there is the best; you could see a noticeable dip in your BIOS time as alluded to. Right on the money haha.

Thank you for the advice and recommendations. I'm going to research into this and let you know the outcome of my purchase decision. 
I'd rather have a Solid State than a Hard Drive as a HDD can easily break if your travelling around a lot and you knock it. 

Thank you, again for your help! 
Last edited Mar 4, 2019 16:47:43 GMT -7 by xxinfectedxx