Losing Gracefully [League of Legends]

Discussion
Nergal Avatar
Nergal GB Staff *****

Post by Nergal on Nov 22, 2018 19:42:44 GMT -7

It's Thanksgiving Evening, I spent all day eating food and I'm feeling pretty groggy. Somewhere in my tired stupor I decided to relax with a nice game of LoL.

So I queue up and get into a game and our team comp looks solid and theirs is a train-wreck and it could be a pretty easy win.
On the other hand, this is pre-season so no one is playing ranked and you get all of the high ranking players that never play normal games and all of the super dirt-low ranking players in the same games because matchmaking doesn't use your rank for normal games it uses a hidden Match-Making-Rating specific to normal games, and since MMR resets to some value (presumably 50:50) over time, anyway because of this normal games are even more of a mess than usual this time of year.

Turns out the other team had a few significantly high ranking players, they were trying to play mind games by flaunting their rank and coincidentally were laning directly against me and I abused them early on, so I figure cool the major threat on the enemy team won't be able to do much, right? Nah, the rest of my team is feeding HARD and then we get swarmed bot lane by the entire enemy hoard and the rest of our team sat around with their thumbs up their butts not doing anything productive elsewhere on the map.
Alright, it's only a normal game but I know, just statistically, that this is rapidly heading towards a Loss and I'd rather get out ASAP, I attempt an early surrender vote around the 16 minute mark; forfeit votes between 15 and 20 minutes have to be unanimous and it wasn't super likely that all members of my team would bite, even though the only people on our team playing with any amount of sense were myself and the marksmen I was caught supporting who had just been stomped by the goon squad.
I wait for the votes and see that I voted yes, 3 voted no, and one abstained; I sigh to myself since I'm trapped in a game I know I cannot win, after 20 minutes I only need 4/5 people to say yes to get out of this mess but all 4 of them just rejected the early vote.

Over the next few minutes I watch my marksmen's decision making start to deteriorate, I can see the tilt in the way they're playing, good, that's 1 easy vote off this island.
I'm not the most mechanically gifted LoL player, but I do play mind games pretty well, I spent the minutes waiting for the next opportunity to surrender doing my best to look like I'm still playing the game when in reality I was doing as little as possible. There are some games which you just aren't going to win, as a support the gravity of my actions is so much greater than the "carries" like to imagine, maybe I could have stalled the game out for an extra 30 minutes so that my other teammates that lost their lanes so early would have a chance at carrying or maybe the enemy would make some mistake for us to capitalize on; but I am tired and I had little faith in the abilities of my teammates whom already proved their incompetence to me repeatedly, so why on earth would I want to expend extra energy babysitting these players on my team while we get our teeth kicked in by the enemy for another 15, 20, 35 minutes to still most likely lose?

I chose to bide my time, I didn't call the next surrender vote as soon as I could or even at the 20 minute mark, my marksman who had held their own in lane was already tilted by our team but I needed to tilt the other members of our team so that they would actually surrender and I could get out. There were a few skirmishes on the map that our team lost but nothing that I could work with, but then the perfect storm happened.
Our midlane mage who was 0 kills and 2 or 3 deaths at the time had roamed top and was WAYYY over extended and my marksmen had followed him and I her, the marksmen was positioned semi-defensively still and close to me so I could potentially shield her but the mage was too far away and I wasn't going to position poorly just to attempt to rescue him; two of the enemy show up top and it was a super winnable fight for us but our mage missed half of his spells, I did my best to shield our marksmen without getting myself into trouble, and by not getting myself into trouble I mean intentionally not saving the mage when I probably could have, mage goes down and we start trying to retreat, I try to get the marksmen out but then she goes back in for some reason and gets decimated (genuinely not a fault of my own there), I underestimate the ability of our enemy to run me down anyway (they were really far ahead of us by that point but I did genuinely think I'd get at least myself out) and I die. In the time it took them to chase me down and kill me, our mage who is now 0 kills and 3 or 4 deaths starts flaming in the chat over how "useless" my marksmen and I are, I remind you that he missed half of his spells which should have accounted for 3/4s of his damage in that fight, and as soon as I die I throw down that sweet surrender vote again and with a marksmen that I knew was tilted and now getting yelled at, a feeding mage that blames the people around him for his inability to land any of his spells, either the feeding top or jungle neither of whom had priority at this point in the game, and myself I had 4 surrender votes and escaped the hell which was trying to relax with a game of League after eating too much on Thanksgiving.

If you are unfortunate enough to still play League of Legends, I can assure you that you can take any game that should have been a win and lose it if you really want, you don't even need to intentionally feed because one of your teammates will do that part for you in 75% of games.

Last edited Nov 22, 2018 19:44:44 GMT -7 by Nergal

Lanbo Avatar
Lanbo GB Addict ****
sig
Nergal Avatar
Nergal GB Staff *****

Post by Nergal on Nov 26, 2018 9:33:33 GMT -7

Lanbo Avatar
But did you go Dark Harvest? ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ That keystone has been OP af in pre-season. -- Also, were you playing Thresh? I'm not sure if I missed your champ (somehow).
Dark Harvest IS busted af, and no I wasn't using it; I was playing Lulu, and there's only so much I can do when everyone else is inting and I was running Summon Aerey.

Lanbo Avatar
Lanbo GB Addict ****
Last edited Nov 26, 2018 16:58:33 GMT -7 by Lanbo
sig
Nergal Avatar
Nergal GB Staff *****

Post by Nergal on Nov 27, 2018 8:19:16 GMT -7

Lanbo Avatar
Yea that checks out. Instead of a hyper carry to pair with your Lulu, you got an ADC who's hyperactive in a bad way. Nice.
It was an Ashe, so she scales up pretty well with her Q and an Ardent Censer, her plays just got progressively worse; probably someone that got filled to ADC and picked Ashe because it's a reasonably neutral lane but just didn't know what to do mid-game, especially not when she had to compensate for hard feeding Top and Mid and a Jg that had no neutral objective priority. 'Twas rough.

princesszelda Avatar
princesszelda GB Newbie *

Post by princesszelda on Apr 1, 2019 1:37:05 GMT -7

League games can get pretty tilting but from what I've read, in Korea they have this strategy that derived from Gaming Cafes where people pay to play and would rather not waste their hours on delaying the inevitable loss of a game by opening up mid and letting the enemy team run it down mid without disruption and destroy your turrets, inhibitors, and eventually Nexus. That strategy doesn't seem to work on other servers very well. There's nothing worse than being stuck in a game with an INT'ing top laner and an AFK farming jungler who refuses to gank and keeps trying to steal enemy jungle camps and getting caught out.