Would a Microsoft made 'handheld' work?

haze Avatar
haze GB Newbie *

Post by haze on Nov 22, 2018 12:38:08 GMT -7

If Microsoft was to make a portable handheld console, along the lines of the 3DS, Switch, Vita, Gameboy etc. - do you think it would be a hit in the market? 

I'm not a fan of handheld devices really, bar my DS so I can play Pokemon on those long flights! I can't see a Microsoft-made handheld device going down well, I didn't get that much enthusiasm for the Switch and I couldn't imagine playing such an involved game along the likes of COD/BF/etc. on a small handheld device.

What about you? Do you think it would be a success, if so why? if not, why not? 
megannatasha Avatar
megannatasha GB Addict ****

Post by megannatasha on Nov 23, 2018 11:35:44 GMT -7

I don't play portable consoles/gaming devices so this one would be hard for me to answer. I'm not a huge fan of the portables, although I totally understand their purpose. I'm sure Microsoft could sell a portable device, however, they'd have to build up a few games worthy of the purchase first. That's my 2 cents, anyway! :P
GamingLyfe Avatar
GamingLyfe GB Addict ****
Here to game and network with gamers alike, feel free to message me!
ash Avatar
ash GB Gamer ***

Post by ash on Nov 28, 2018 10:31:10 GMT -7

Honestly, I just don't think handheld consoles are as popular as they used to be when the Nintendo DS and PSP came out. I really don't think Microsoft of all companies would be the one to create a new handheld console especially when they are doing well with the Microsoft Xbox consoles. They have no need to take such a risky move and go into a new sector that they don't really have any experience in.

A Forum For Those Looking To Earn Money Online | Redeem PayPal & Giftcards!
xxinfectedxx Avatar
xxinfectedxx GB Addict ****

Post by xxinfectedxx on Jan 3, 2019 5:37:33 GMT -7

Microsoft is more known for their compact computers, consoles and portable tablets. I'm sure if they had the desire to release a Handheld device, they would and it would be a very successful once released to the public. Personally, I'd like to see this delivered to the gaming community as no such thing had been created by Microsoft. As a gamer, I enjoy trying new ideas and I'm sure I'll find something like this enjoyable aswell as interesting for the first time.
lucky Avatar
lucky GB Newbie *

Post by lucky on Jan 3, 2019 20:17:03 GMT -7

I am sure they have thought about it, but I can't imagine the market reach is there to sustain it. Let's be honest, most people are either using a laptop for their mobile needs. Other mobile consoles just don't get used that much, so they probably wouldn't sink that much R&D into it. However, if they were to, it might do well depending on the specs and what it could play. I might buy one if they do, GTA V on the go!
ash Avatar
ash GB Gamer ***

Post by ash on Jan 14, 2019 12:35:24 GMT -7

lucky Avatar
I am sure they have thought about it, but I can't imagine the market reach is there to sustain it. Let's be honest, most people are either using a laptop for their mobile needs. Other mobile consoles just don't get used that much, so they probably wouldn't sink that much R&D into it. However, if they were to, it might do well depending on the specs and what it could play. I might buy one if they do, GTA V on the go!

A move to the handheld market would have made sense a while back especially when the Nintendo DS and other similar handheld devices were doing well. However, I just don't think the market is big enough right now for Microsoft to justify a move into it. It just wouldn't make sense and I agree with you that most people would use a smartphone for on the go gaming. However, there might still be space if they can get a handheld device that has the specs to support games like GTA V on the go.

demarco Avatar
demarco GB Addict ****

ash Avatar
ash GB Gamer ***

Post by ash on Jan 15, 2019 13:29:45 GMT -7

demarco Avatar
Microsofts handheld can easily cost around $200 at release. It would not be as marketable as their computer power demands makes putting it on a small device expensive
$200 would be a crazy good price for a handheld that could potentially be able to hand games such as Grand Theft Auto V. If it was that sort of price, I think it would do extremely well. But like you said, the power required for it and the fact it would have to be a small device would make it quite expensive to develop therefore it would be much more expensive than $200.