PlayStation 5 compatibility

PlayStation
GamingLyfe Avatar
GamingLyfe GB Addict ****

Post by GamingLyfe on Oct 9, 2018 8:14:49 GMT -7

I've read an article this morning stating that the PlayStation 5 may offer backward compatibility with the PlayStation 4. The PS4 uses the AMD Accelerated Processing Unit (APU) which is built upon the machines x86-64 architecture. It's looking as if the PS5 may follow the same road, and if it does, we SHOULD be able to play our PS4 games on the PS5. As for the PS3 and beyond, it's much less likely but not completely ruled out just yet. I would really enjoy if PlayStation offered backward compatibility so whenever the day comes for me to upgrade I won't be losing my massive investment into PS4 games, nor trying to juggle the two systems.

Thoughts?
Here to game and network with gamers alike, feel free to message me!
muggles Avatar
muggles GB Newbie *

Post by muggles on Oct 21, 2018 12:40:11 GMT -7

I hope they do.

When I got my PS2 I was able to play PS games as well as PS2 games along with DVDs and CDs.

Then when I got my PS3 (I missed out on the first model that played everything) it wouldn't play PS2 games but would play PS1 games as well as PS3 games along with DVDs and CDs.

Then I got my PS4 and it only plays PS4 games. I need to connect it (if I remember rightly) to the internet (for some reason) to play DVDs and CDs. Why do I need to do that for playing DVDs and CDs?

So hopefully any PS5 will be more generous to the ability for what can be played on it.
megannatasha Avatar
megannatasha GB Addict ****
oo Avatar
oo GB Gamer ***

Post by oo on Nov 5, 2018 4:49:32 GMT -7

I honestly think PS5 is few years ahead. But still, I highly doubt it is going to be compatible with PS4. That'd mean they won't get as much money as they do if you have to re-buy the games.
That's why I also think PS5 is still few years ahead, because they will let it run a little bit more so people will buy PS5+games again.
muggles Avatar
muggles GB Newbie *

Post by muggles on Nov 5, 2018 5:32:58 GMT -7

I hope they at least make sure that the PS5 does at least play DVDs and CDs (like i was able to on my PS3) without having to connect to the internet like I have to with my PS4. These two things should be able to play without all this hassle.