Upgrading from Current-Gen Consoles

Question
Andrew Avatar
Andrew GB Regular **

Post by Andrew on Sept 3, 2018 10:50:56 GMT -7

As some of my other posts would highlight, I've been on the uptake for having each iteration of a console that comes out when it does. Unfortunately, life got busy and finances were lacking, so I could not jump on my longstanding bandwagon of getting the latest XBONE and/or PS4. I have even picked up a couple games I had been wanting during Black Friday (why not, right? ... better to pay 5 bux instead of 55 bux later), and they're nicely in the wrapper, but I'm second guessing getting either console due to the new hype about the XBOX TWO or PS5.

What are your thoughts? Would you wait for new intel in the next year or so or go ahead and upgrade anyway?
Last edited Sept 3, 2018 10:51:10 GMT -7 by Andrew
Andrew
megannatasha Avatar
megannatasha GB Addict ****

Post by megannatasha on Sept 3, 2018 11:30:38 GMT -7

I was having the same thoughts - I would recommend buying used, as you can save a pile of money and your investment can at least hold you over until the latest console(s) release, at which time you could always just put it back up for sale! :P
Andrew Avatar
Andrew GB Regular **

Post by Andrew on Sept 3, 2018 11:41:12 GMT -7

megannatasha Avatar
I was having the same thoughts - I would recommend buying used, as you can save a pile of money and your investment can at least hold you over until the latest console(s) release, at which time you could always just put it back up for sale! :P

That's a great point, . I might consider that, but my personality likes new, so I have to have that internal battle of which route to go. haha.
Andrew
GamingLyfe Avatar
GamingLyfe GB Addict ****

Post by GamingLyfe on Sept 6, 2018 16:17:45 GMT -7

I'd go with used until the new console comes out also, it'd be a waste to spend twice or three times as much for the same functioning product. :P Although I do feel you, I'm bad for not being able to enjoy previous versions of games if there is a new title to the series out.
Here to game and network with gamers alike, feel free to message me!
Important Avatar
Important GB Newbie *

Post by Important on Sept 7, 2018 18:37:04 GMT -7

I personally just went for it last month.  Bought a big 4k TV, an Xbox One X, and today I finally got my PS4 Pro Spiderman console.  The way I look at it is as long as you keep them in good condition, there is resell value- especially in special edition consoles if you can buy one.  

I sold my old Xbox with a few games and only had to pay $150 for the new one last month.

This all being said, it's largely personal preference.  I like to have the good stuff and I don't mind throwing some cash around- call it an investment lol.

Thanks!

PS Expect to wait ~2 years for next gen Xbox or PS4!
~Important~
Andrew Avatar
Andrew GB Regular **

Post by Andrew on Sept 13, 2018 6:13:21 GMT -7

Through a series of (not unfortunate) events, I finally landed an upgrade to Xbox One. I debated a bit because  and  both had good, valid points about getting used since we're so far into the current-gen consoles, but my pickiness won over and I got the Xbox One X instead of the S. I got 4 games -- GTA5, Lego Jurassic, Destiny 2, and Just Cause 3.

I got GTA5 specifically for character transfer, but will be returning it today because I was unaware the character transfer ability/partnership is over with as of way back in March 2017 or something (I'm out of the loop, I know). JC3 is scratched beyond repair, but that's an easy swap b/c I love the JC series. The Lego series is all my wife will play and it was cheapest right now, and Destiny 2 will allow me to pick up my love for the series. I have a few other XB1 games from Black Friday (ME Andromeda, AC Unity and Syndicate). So I've got a little bit to work with right now.

Being further out of the loop, I didn't know the new Spiderman game was Sony exclusive, so that stinks, but gives me a good reason to get a PS4 (Pro)...maybe. haha

Anyway. I'm excited about the upgrade and jumping back on the "current bandwagon". Here's to enjoying this till Xbox One Z comes out.
Andrew
DanthEx Avatar
DanthEx GB Staff *****

Post by DanthEx on Sept 13, 2018 8:25:32 GMT -7

Andrew Avatar
Through a series of (not unfortunate) events, I finally landed an upgrade to Xbox One. I debated a bit because  and  both had good, valid points about getting used since we're so far into the current-gen consoles, but my pickiness won over and I got the Xbox One X instead of the S. I got 4 games -- GTA5, Lego Jurassic, Destiny 2, and Just Cause 3.

I got GTA5 specifically for character transfer, but will be returning it today because I was unaware the character transfer ability/partnership is over with as of way back in March 2017 or something (I'm out of the loop, I know). JC3 is scratched beyond repair, but that's an easy swap b/c I love the JC series. The Lego series is all my wife will play and it was cheapest right now, and Destiny 2 will allow me to pick up my love for the series. I have a few other XB1 games from Black Friday (ME Andromeda, AC Unity and Syndicate). So I've got a little bit to work with right now.

Being further out of the loop, I didn't know the new Spiderman game was Sony exclusive, so that stinks, but gives me a good reason to get a PS4 (Pro)...maybe. haha

Anyway. I'm excited about the upgrade and jumping back on the "current bandwagon". Here's to enjoying this till Xbox One Z comes out.

I have GTA5, Destiny 2, and Just Cause 3 for the PS4 and JC3 on PC also, great games! The Lego games are also a ton of fun, my girlfriend and daughter really enjoy them. GTA5 may be worth holding onto for online if you're not looking to beat all the missions again. I lost my GTA5 data so now I just free-roam with cheats or mess around a little online. Destiny 2 is amazing, I just need to get my hands on the new expansion and find some new PS4 friends who play too.

Congrats on the new system, hopefully, it treats you well. Keep us posted. :P
Andrew Avatar
Andrew GB Regular **

Post by Andrew on Sept 13, 2018 9:00:30 GMT -7

Good to know. I still won't keep it because it kinda lost the glamour long ago. Story mode = maxed out; online= reasonably maxed out and nothing but trolls. So, the icing on the cake was the no transfer. I prefer Xbox to PlayStation (though I grew up on the Sony bandwagon and switched due to better network). I made the silly decision to keep my GTA series pure and got GTA5 on PS3 instead of Xbox 360. I rarely ever play my PS3 and when I do it's only for a few minutes with GTA5 until it quickly bores me. Don't get me wrong GTA5 is a brilliant game, and was back during it's release time. I think I and millions of other R* fans are just ready for the next GTA game, but are at at a standstill because of R* focusing on RDR 2 instead. It'll be a few more years sadly before we see GTA6 or whatever they call it. When they do, I'll be right back on the bandwagon, but on Xbox this time. ;)
Andrew
GamingLyfe Avatar
GamingLyfe GB Addict ****

Post by GamingLyfe on Sept 13, 2018 12:06:11 GMT -7

I can't say for sure but I thought Rockstar was still adding new content/missions to GTA V, I'd have to do some further research to confirm. However, the last time I played I could have sworn there were missions and even cutscenes I hadn't seen originally. The online will always be tons of fun, and of course, free-play as mentioned. I feel your pain , but I'm pretty excited for Red Dead Redemption 2 too. :P
Here to game and network with gamers alike, feel free to message me!
Andrew Avatar
Andrew GB Regular **

Post by Andrew on Sept 13, 2018 12:27:37 GMT -7

GamingLyfe Avatar
I can't say for sure but I thought Rockstar was still adding new content/missions to GTA V, I'd have to do some further research to confirm. However, the last time I played I could have sworn there were missions and even cutscenes I hadn't seen originally. The online will always be tons of fun, and of course, free-play as mentioned. I feel your pain , but I'm pretty excited for Red Dead Redemption 2 too. :P

Yes, you're correct, and I know this to be true from always getting newsletters, that there is new content and updates to Online regularly. But, I think my point might be more along the lines of them resting on their laurels of GTA5. Hopefully my perspective makes sense in this: There's a difference in adding something new to something existing vs creating something new from scratch. You're confined to the logic, programming and overall construct in place for an existing game, unless you modify it (isn't that borderline a new game in a way?). I might give it another try, but I definitely want to play other, new games that I've never played before first and can buy this one cheaper later.
Andrew
xxinfectedxx Avatar
xxinfectedxx GB Addict ****

Post by xxinfectedxx on Jan 2, 2019 7:11:47 GMT -7

Finally got round to upgrading my current generation console (Xbox 360) to an Acer Gaming Laptop. Switching platforms was the most nervous decision in my years of gaming as I've always played on Xbox but I'm not looking back. Comparing to a console, a laptop has No fee for playing online, better performance, superior graphics, lower prices, and free mods rather than an alternative platform.
Last edited Jan 2, 2019 7:12:19 GMT -7 by xxinfectedxx
ash Avatar
ash GB Gamer ***

Post by ash on Jan 12, 2019 15:00:39 GMT -7

xxinfectedxx Avatar
Finally got round to upgrading my current generation console (Xbox 360) to an Acer Gaming Laptop. Switching platforms was the most nervous decision in my years of gaming as I've always played on Xbox but I'm not looking back. Comparing to a console, a laptop has No fee for playing online, better performance, superior graphics, lower prices, and free mods rather than an alternative platform.
I want to get into PC gaming at some point but I can't see myself doing so for a while. The only reason I would move is to be able to play simulators like Euro Truck Simulator which isn't available on a console. Other than that, I don't really care for PC gaming. I don't mind paying for being able to play online (it's annoying but not a huge problem) and I don't really have a problem with the performance/graphics issues which aren't that bad compared to PC.

A Forum For Those Looking To Earn Money Online | Redeem PayPal & Giftcards!
Saints4ever Avatar
Saints4ever GB Gamer ***
Help is only a Bubble away...
ash Avatar
ash GB Gamer ***

Post by ash on Jan 15, 2019 13:34:04 GMT -7

Saints4ever Avatar
there is an xbox two?
No. The latest console by Microsoft is the Xbox One. However, it is highly likely that the next console by both Microsoft and Sony will be announced this year and released at some point next year. It's highly unlikely that they call it the Xbox Two because it sounds a bit stupid and unmarketable, to be honest :D

A Forum For Those Looking To Earn Money Online | Redeem PayPal & Giftcards!
Saints4ever Avatar
Saints4ever GB Gamer ***
Help is only a Bubble away...