Gameplay vs Graphics

Discussion
keranov Avatar
keranov GB Gamer ***

Post by keranov on Jun 3, 2018 12:58:09 GMT -7

Which one is more important for you when you play a video game on your PC? The gameplay or the graphics?

I will always prefer the gameplay over how the game looks. Graphics usually doesn't matter to me and aren't a problem if the game is good.
Last edited Jun 3, 2018 12:59:14 GMT -7 by keranov
fantanoice Avatar
fantanoice GB Newbie *

Post by fantanoice on Jun 19, 2018 5:08:53 GMT -7

Why would you play a game, if not for the game-play?

I'd say graphics are a component of the gameplay, not a separate thing. Gameplay is the full experience, including aesthetics (like graphics but can also include sound), along with mechanics (ie: what you do in the game).

While the graphics may sway you to PC over other platforms or may get you to play one game over another, it doesn't encompass why you're playing it. That's the gameplay. Graphics are merely a part of that.
Aussie Game Developer. Let me know your favourite podcast.
ash Avatar
ash GB Gamer ***

Post by ash on Jun 24, 2018 9:10:11 GMT -7

For me, it's a bit of both really. The graphics don't have to be super realistic, I mean look at Fortnite. It's a cartoon style game yet it's so much fun and everyone loves the way it looks. But the graphics have to be of a good quality. But then there is no point in having some good quality graphics that look great if you don't have good gameplay to back it. The gameplay is what makes a game complete so it's an important aspect of the game. There aren't many games that can boast of having both amazing graphics and gameplay really.

A Forum For Those Looking To Earn Money Online | Redeem PayPal & Giftcards!

Post by Ben the tick on Jun 26, 2018 15:23:49 GMT -7

I read a few things recently and they described graphics as reaching a plateau, so I think game play is going to start becoming a focus for game developers again. It's easy to make a game look pretty, relatively speaking, sure you can throw more polygons at a model, but theres a point in which it doesnt really look any better and the gaming industry is hitting that point now, so it forces them to actually focus on something that going to keep people playing their game, a la gameplay
Fleshreaper Avatar
Fleshreaper GB Newbie *

Post by Fleshreaper on Jun 30, 2018 9:07:08 GMT -7

Ben the tick Avatar
I read a few things recently and they described graphics as reaching a plateau, so I think game play is going to start becoming a focus for game developers again. It's easy to make a game look pretty, relatively speaking, sure you can throw more polygons at a model, but theres a point in which it doesnt really look any better and the gaming industry is hitting that point now, so it forces them to actually focus on something that going to keep people playing their game, a la gameplay
How the f**k am I supposed to follow up a post like that Ben? lol

I think the answer is gameplay without a doubt, we all have our old favorites for that reason.  I still have a Gamecube in my spare room just in case I wanna get a little weird on a Saturday night. :)
armani Avatar
armani

Post by armani on Jul 3, 2018 4:55:30 GMT -7

Ben the tick Avatar
That is true
As you can see many new games are based on gameplay,graphics are on side
Very nice said
meowsepad Avatar
meowsepad GB Newbie *

Post by meowsepad on Jul 20, 2018 6:54:45 GMT -7

I think that graphics are overrated, and the over-focus on graphics is the reason that we have so many games that are released only halfway finished. I get that graphics seem to sell the game to most people, but what's the point of having awesome graphics if the game isn't fun to play because they didn't have time to get around to any gameplay?
GamingLyfe Avatar
GamingLyfe GB Addict ****

Post by GamingLyfe on Jul 20, 2018 15:43:34 GMT -7

I love both but to me it's an obvious and easy choice: gameplay. :P Plenty of games have amazing graphics here in 2018, but they don't all have great gameplay. I like games that go a little more against the grain like Titanfall(Compared to COD, BF, CS, for example).
Here to game and network with gamers alike, feel free to message me!
jimmy Avatar
jimmy GB Newbie *

Post by jimmy on Jul 23, 2018 8:28:21 GMT -7

I personally feel like the Graphics need to be up to par. Although, my main focus is game play. I agree with GamingLyfe. We have a lot of games out now that are amazing graphics, although the game play lacks what it needs. I think game developers need to continue focus on on game play improvements on new / existing games before graphics. I don't care if the graphics are from 1998 as long as the game play keeps me interested & involved.
Last edited Jul 23, 2018 8:28:42 GMT -7 by jimmy
megannatasha Avatar
megannatasha GB Addict ****

Post by megannatasha on Jul 23, 2018 14:33:28 GMT -7

I lovee high-detailed games, but some games just don't need the crazy graphics. I mean, I guess you could add amazing graphics to any game to improve it, but it would ultimately come down to gameplay for me too.
antonline Avatar
antonline GB Regular **
Important Avatar
Important GB Newbie *

Post by Important on Sept 23, 2018 17:08:56 GMT -7

keranov Avatar
Which one is more important for you when you play a video game on your PC? The gameplay or the graphics?

I will always prefer the gameplay over how the game looks. Graphics usually doesn't matter to me and aren't a problem if the game is good.
I mean, the obvious answer is BOTH!  But unfortunately that is all too uncommon these days.  I am a bit of a graphiphile (is that a thing?), so while I think a good story is great, good graphics are important to make a story immersive to a degree.  I suppose I would go with story though at the end of the day, otherwise, that could get pretty dull.
~Important~
Vu1canF0rce Avatar
Vu1canF0rce GB Gamer ***

Post by Vu1canF0rce on Sept 26, 2018 5:21:52 GMT -7

It's usually a healthy balance between the two, but in the big picture it's got to be gameplay over graphics. Why would I play a game with the most amazing graphics if the gameplay was horrible or lackluster? It really depends on the game. Step back in time to the first HALO on PC (keeping in mind the graphics were what they were for back then). What if it were released today like that? It had great gameplay but the graphics are not great. I'd play it over and over if it were the only thing of it's kind. This is just one of many examples, but it's a general gist.
Andrew
thejason Avatar
thejason GB Gamer ***

Post by thejason on Nov 22, 2018 2:44:19 GMT -7

I love some good graphics - especially being into 3D computer art creation. Nonetheless, the bottom line is that games need to be fun first, with looks second. Anyway, Paper Mario and Rayman appeared to be games that seemed good looking but boring - but then again, maybe I hadn't explored cheat guides to explore them more.
xxinfectedxx Avatar
xxinfectedxx GB Addict ****

Post by xxinfectedxx on Dec 31, 2018 4:21:25 GMT -7

Always do your research before purchasing a PC Game to make sure it just has the right balance for Gameplay and Graphics. For me, it's a touch of both truly as a gamer. Be that as it may, the designs must be of a decent quality. In any case, at that point there is no reason for having some great designs and graphics that look incredible in the event that you don't have great ongoing storyline to support the game.

Last edited Dec 31, 2018 4:22:19 GMT -7 by xxinfectedxx