Fun or Addiction?

Question
aayisha25 Avatar
aayisha25 GB Newbie *

Post by aayisha25 on Apr 18, 2018 3:48:10 GMT -7

My parents would always says that don't play too much or else you would get addicted to it. but i won't agree it.

Because i am very sure about it, that games will only give fun.

Do you guys accept with me??
thejason Avatar
thejason GB Gamer ***

Post by thejason on Apr 18, 2018 11:30:03 GMT -7

Fun stuff can be an addiction and that can be bad or good. I mean, if the addiction is interfering with more noble things in life (health, school, friends), then I'd say it's bad. I mean, that sounds right, doesn't it?
keranov Avatar
keranov GB Gamer ***
skeetowns4 Avatar
skeetowns4 GB Newbie *
demarco Avatar
demarco GB Addict ****

LimeRain Avatar
LimeRain GB Regular **

Post by LimeRain on May 22, 2018 14:25:18 GMT -7

I think a prime example was when I used to vape. It started as a "cool" thing when I was a senior in high school, then started doing it my second semester at uni again. I'd keep quitting and coming back but towards the end (3 years later, in January) I literally had no feeling with nicotine. I used to be able to rip it a few times and fall on my ass or feel the warmth. When I quit that feeling had long passed and I felt nothing. You come to realize how much you've done it when you have to keep stepping up concentration to feel something you used to. Thankfully I got out of it, but you sometimes get wrapped in something and not realize you are an addict.

Check out our academic mega thread!

Computer Scientist Undergrad with knowledge in Math & Psychology
karmadir Avatar
karmadir GB Newbie *

Post by karmadir on May 29, 2018 4:30:45 GMT -7

Set a time limit of one hour or two for game. And, if you are a student, go for games that improves your English, Maths, and other subject skills. It will help you a lot.
claraviolet Avatar
claraviolet GB Newbie *

Post by claraviolet on Jun 5, 2018 10:17:04 GMT -7

Honestly, I am not sure whether I am addicted to games or not. Sometime I feel like playing them all the time, without doing anything else. There are times, when I had skipped even food to play mario games, and various other video games.

On the other hand, there are times, when I don't want to play anything at all for days to months. It happened often too. So, it's like extreme for me.
I do think games or fun but the truth of that will have to come from someone, other than oneself. We will always look at something in a positive direction, when it comes to our own self. That is why, we should consider others opinions, in matters like this.

According to my mom, gaming is an addiction for me :(
empire Avatar
empire GB Gamer ***

Post by empire on Jun 6, 2018 7:28:20 GMT -7

Addiction is an very big to use, same if you drink everyday and you become addiction when you can not stop doing it. But playing games isn't always addiction meaning that I got told some months back that I was addiction to my computer and she was saying it since she seen an clip on the news!! RIppp but that's not addiction! addiction isn't looking at an PC screen for hours on end everyday NOOO! When I'm on my pC I'm not always doing the same thing
xxinfectedxx Avatar
xxinfectedxx GB Addict ****

Post by xxinfectedxx on Jun 13, 2018 10:57:45 GMT -7

Unfortunately, gaming for me is an addiction. I suffer from anxiety and depression which I'm seeking help for through a medical professional however it's all about for me finding ways to escape from the real world. My addiction has improved as I have filled my time with alternatives such as walking my dog which I have found enjoyable
meowsepad Avatar
meowsepad GB Newbie *

Post by meowsepad on Jul 5, 2018 9:12:05 GMT -7

xxinfectedxx Avatar
Unfortunately, gaming for me is an addiction. I suffer from anxiety and depression which I'm seeking help for through a medical professional however it's all about for me finding ways to escape from the real world. My addiction has improved as I have filled my time with alternatives such as walking my dog which I have found enjoyable
Aww. :(

Anyway, I think that gaming gets a bad reputation for being addictive. The truth is that people can get addicted to anything, and it doesn't mean that the object of their addiction is inherently bad. For example, people can get addicted to their careers, but we're not all quitting our jobs because of it. ;)
antonline Avatar
antonline GB Regular **

Post by antonline on Jul 24, 2018 20:36:13 GMT -7

They're fun and addicting. Not like you're going to have withdrawals if you go on vacation for a week, but you might feel cranky and want to get back to your console. I've never heard of anyone being actually addicted to gaming. It's all just fun!
xxinfectedxx Avatar
xxinfectedxx GB Addict ****

Post by xxinfectedxx on Jan 2, 2019 6:58:05 GMT -7

In addition to my previous reply, I wanted to add that Gaming addition is now classified as a mental health condition in the UK. They are fun and addicting, it's about finding the right balance of time spent playing. For me, I am easily addicted, to over come this problem I set time limits of hour or two each game and then spend the rest of the day exercising or doing natural activities.
Last edited Jan 2, 2019 6:58:15 GMT -7 by xxinfectedxx