Languages

Discussion
vedraii Avatar
vedraii GB Regular **
Languages Posted Apr 13, 2018 6:03:16 GMT -7

Post by vedraii on Apr 13, 2018 6:03:16 GMT -7

I have a confession to make. I'm a complete language nerd. I love learning languages and I tend to easily jump from one to an other (I am currently working on limiting this problem). So, my question is? What languages do you speak?

I'm a native French speaker.
I learned English in school and I am confident enough in my ability to say that I'm fluent.
I am currently learning Dutch. I can understand it fairly easily but I am still struggling with writing and speaking. The grammar baffles me.
I dabble in a bit of Japanese, trying to get through learning hiraganas before I jump in anything structured.
And I can mumble my way around in Spanish with a lot of non-verbal.

That is about it! 
Last edited Apr 13, 2018 6:03:31 GMT -7 by vedraii
DanthEx Avatar
DanthEx GB Staff *****
Languages Posted Apr 13, 2018 10:02:47 GMT -7

Post by DanthEx on Apr 13, 2018 10:02:47 GMT -7

Unfortunately I only speak English, however, I've spent some time during my youth learning Spanish so I could better interact with players on a game I once played called MuOnline. The playerbase was largely Spanish and Brazilian and I enjoyed being able to communicate with them using their own language. At one point I had over 400 words learned in a word-doc I was creating, however this was many years ago and I've yet to touch up on any language learning skills. I would love to learn another language, but I fear it's becoming too late in life!

PS: Very impressive !
keranov Avatar
keranov GB Gamer ***
Languages Posted Apr 15, 2018 6:59:31 GMT -7

Post by keranov on Apr 15, 2018 6:59:31 GMT -7

I can speak only two languages. Bulgarian as my native one and English. Some people say that I can speak English very good and I think I am able to.

In the future I would like to learn German and Russian. At this moment I can only swear in Russian, lol.

Hope I will learn these languages soon.
Last edited Apr 15, 2018 7:13:44 GMT -7 by keranov
thejason Avatar
thejason GB Gamer ***
Languages Posted Apr 16, 2018 0:38:59 GMT -7

Post by thejason on Apr 16, 2018 0:38:59 GMT -7

I don't know any languages fluently, but I was OK at Spanish in high school, speaking, not listening. Also, a word here and there of Korean I picked up, as well as knowing the alphabet.
fathima Avatar
fathima GB Newbie *
Languages Posted Apr 18, 2018 4:57:36 GMT -7

Post by fathima on Apr 18, 2018 4:57:36 GMT -7

vedraii Avatar
I have a confession to make. I'm a complete language nerd. I love learning languages and I tend to easily jump from one to an other (I am currently working on limiting this problem). So, my question is? What languages do you speak?

I'm a native French speaker.
I learned English in school and I am confident enough in my ability to say that I'm fluent.
I am currently learning Dutch. I can understand it fairly easily but I am still struggling with writing and speaking. The grammar baffles me.
I dabble in a bit of Japanese, trying to get through learning hiraganas before I jump in anything structured.
And I can mumble my way around in Spanish with a lot of non-verbal.

That is about it! 
ya.. I too love to learn new languages...but unfortunately i know only English and really interested in learning French language.. Hope to learn it in future
0verki11 Avatar
0verki11 GB Newbie *
LimeRain Avatar
LimeRain GB Regular **

Check out our academic mega thread!

Computer Scientist Undergrad with knowledge in Math & Psychology
DanthEx Avatar
DanthEx GB Staff *****
Lanbo Avatar
Lanbo GB Addict ****
Languages Posted May 27, 2018 4:23:17 GMT -7

Post by Lanbo on May 27, 2018 4:23:17 GMT -7

You're so cool, ! Woahhh 😳 That's really impressive, good for you. And for all yall multilingual peeps!
, tambien comprendo espanol como y puedo escribir un poquito. Aprendaba espanol en escuela por 5 anos. Noob.

I'm fluent in 2, and I can get by, slowly, in 2 others (I'd include Spanish in that!!) 😏
Last edited May 27, 2018 4:30:55 GMT -7 by Lanbo
sig
Nergal Avatar
Nergal GB Staff *****
Languages Posted Jun 15, 2018 8:29:19 GMT -7

Post by Nergal on Jun 15, 2018 8:29:19 GMT -7

English,some Spanglish (I can understand some of each of the romance languages though i don't speak them.), some Latin (Ancient Languages, super useful, kappa);
whole bunch of programming languages but that's not what was meant.

thejason Avatar
thejason GB Gamer ***
Languages Posted Jul 19, 2018 8:33:44 GMT -7

Post by thejason on Jul 19, 2018 8:33:44 GMT -7

Yeah, I used to be a language nerd and I find it fascinating. Nonetheless, I simply have other studies and hobbies now which are more important. They would be music playing, computer 3D art, math, science, etc..

Anyway, what good is learning languages, if you can't visit the country!
antonline Avatar
antonline GB Regular **
Languages Posted Jul 25, 2018 11:55:58 GMT -7

Post by antonline on Jul 25, 2018 11:55:58 GMT -7

Wow, you're impressive! All I know is English and a little bit of Spanish. I don't even know how I'd begin with trying to learn a 3rd language... Spanish is tough enough! I think I'd always run into the problem of saying a word and trying to remember if it was this language or that language. LOL
Lanbo Avatar
Lanbo GB Addict ****
Languages Posted Aug 11, 2018 19:50:12 GMT -7

Post by Lanbo on Aug 11, 2018 19:50:12 GMT -7

antonline Avatar
Wow, you're impressive! All I know is English and a little bit of Spanish. I don't even know how I'd begin with trying to learn a 3rd language... Spanish is tough enough! I think I'd always run into the problem of saying a word and trying to remember if it was this language or that language. LOL
Linguistics is amazing! It's really cool how the human mind processes language. You don't even have to think about translating in your head when you know the language, it's so awesome how effortless it is.
Last edited Aug 11, 2018 19:50:38 GMT -7 by Lanbo
sig
adamsimon Avatar
adamsimon GB Newbie *
Last edited Sept 3, 2018 7:39:06 GMT -7 by adamsimon
xxinfectedxx Avatar
xxinfectedxx GB Addict ****
Languages Posted Oct 11, 2018 5:14:29 GMT -7

Post by xxinfectedxx on Oct 11, 2018 5:14:29 GMT -7

Only speak English. Its really hard to learn a language and speak it fluently. I've got a lot of respect for people who know multiple ways of speaking and understanding other than there native country