Asteroid Strategies

Discussion
gimmeafrown Avatar
gimmeafrown GB Newbie *
elli Avatar
elli GB Staff *****

Post by elli on Feb 23, 2018 12:11:11 GMT -7

I played Asteroids in the early 2000s on an old desktop PC at my grandparents' house. It came preinstalled on that version of Windows, for some reason.

My strategy basically consisted of moving as minimally as possible around the center of the screen. The ship just couldn't shoot fast enough and I'd have to move, ultimately, to the edges of the screen which would lead to an impact. This was not ideal. I'd be interested in how it should be done.
DanthEx Avatar
DanthEx GB Staff *****

Post by DanthEx on Feb 25, 2018 23:07:20 GMT -7

This isn't a game I'm particularly familiar with, however, I've played games very similar. I think there is a strategy to every game, especially the old classics which usually only had a handful of mechanics so they had to rely on one way or another to allow the player to progress, yet at the same time make the game progressively more difficult.
gamingguy Avatar
gamingguy GB Newbie *

Post by gamingguy on Mar 2, 2018 13:03:52 GMT -7

I was too young in the 80s to play this game but I remember playing versions of it. I never really had a strategy while playing. I just kept on shooting stuff and hoping I beat the level.
thejason Avatar
thejason GB Gamer ***

Post by thejason on Apr 15, 2018 3:44:40 GMT -7

I was a kid in the 80s and I do indeed remember this one. Anyway, I'm sure there was some strategy - you know, just like on those Super Mario Galaxy II levels where you have to burn up boxes etc.. Anyone played those?