Childhood Staples

Question
Lottie Avatar
Lottie GB Newbie *

Post by Lottie on Feb 18, 2018 6:51:19 GMT -7

What video games were your childhood staples? We were a hardcore Nintendo family. Most of my most-played games were SNES. We had, and enjoyed, most of the usual games, like Super Mario Brothers, The Legend of Zelda, Mario Kart, etc.

We had Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, for some reason I don't know (and don't think I ever did), and to this day it's still one of the single most frustrating games I've ever played. I don't think I ever beat it. My little brother and I tried a million times. (If any of you have, I'm officially jealous.)

Street Fighters II was another big one. I would never play as anyone but Chun Li, which I imagine is true for most young girls that played it. That noise she makes when she's turbo-kicking her leg will still randomly pop into my head from time to time. My older brother would always play as Ryu (and win). It was a nightmare. I'm only just now realizing that most of my childhood staples involved me losing. 

When the N64 came out, Goldeneye, Super Mario 64, and The Ocarina of Time took over my life. Well, until Mario Party came out. I used to sport those palm blisters like badges of honor and make my brothers mad when all of that rotating ended up making all of our analog sticks wonky. That's always been my favorite and I'm realizing this is probably because it was the only game I won 90% of the time. 

Now that you know my life story, tell me yours! What games did you love? What games frustrated you to no end? 
elli Avatar
elli GB Staff *****

Post by elli on Feb 18, 2018 9:56:19 GMT -7

I remember the N64. That was one of my first consoles, although it technically belonged to my step brother and had to stay at dad's house. We would play hours of Goldeneye and Mario Kart 64 together. It was the only time he stopped teasing me. We would also switch off playing Super Mario 64, imo one of the best games for N64. Then there was some kind of jet ski racing game that we got really into for short stretches of time, don't remember what it was called.

I got my PlayStation 1 around the same time. The first three Spyro games were my favorites, but I was too scared of the final bosses to beat them for years (this is still the case sometimes). I had other games for PS1, like Rayman and Barbie: Race and Ride (lol), but didn't put as much time into those.

When PS2 came out, I got one at both of my parents' houses. Spiderman 2 and GTA: Vice City were my favorites, and later Guitar Hero. I roped my dad into playing that with me, and he actually got pretty good at it. He liked it because he remembered some of the older songs from the 80s. That was how I found out that my Jack Mormon* dad liked Alice Cooper and KISS, hilarious. We could also get him to play GTA sometimes; he would be driving the tank around, causing mayhem, while laughing that this game is not for children.

* Jack Mormon is a term used to refer to members of the LDS faith who do not follow some of the core tenets of the religion, such as no alcohol or caffeine, no tattoos, going to church every week, etc., but still hold the same beliefs.
Last edited Feb 18, 2018 10:06:48 GMT -7 by elli
Queen Avatar
Queen GB Newbie *

Post by Queen on Feb 18, 2018 20:05:40 GMT -7

Lottie Avatar
Street Fighters II was another big one. I would never play as anyone but Chun Li, which I imagine is true for most young girls that played it. That noise she makes when she's turbo-kicking her leg will still randomly pop into my head from time to time.
This part is literally me. I played this game with a neighborhood boy who would always choose Ryu while I would always choose Chun Li. I did want to be like her, looking pretty but still strong enough to punch boys in their faces like a boss. I always have this kind of character for all arcade games I played. Other examples would be Uriko or Jenny in Bloody Roar series and Anna Williams in Tekken.
Lottie Avatar
Lottie GB Newbie *

Post by Lottie on Feb 19, 2018 19:43:55 GMT -7

Elli, Super Mario 64 is definitely one of the best N64 games, hands down. Do/did you always play a certain character in Mario Kart? I always had to be Yoshi. If someone else played him, I would be watching their screen at least 60% of the time. Ah, I remember the jet-skiing one. That was one of the default games it came with, I think. I believe it was called Wave Racer. I'm glad you and your step-brother could at least get along while you were playing video games! They're great for bonding.

You know, I never played any of the Spyro games. I feel like I really missed out on that one. I guess I'll just have to give them a try during my adult years. Haha, there was some Barbie game on the Super Nintendo that I used to play a lot. I can't remember what it was called. My brothers absolutely hated it when I used to rent that one.

GTA: Vice City is a great game. That's so funny about your dad! That must have been a lot of fun to rock out with him during Guitar Hero. I learned a lot of oldies that way, too. You taught me something new! I've never heard of a Jack Mormon before. I'll have to remember that one.

Queen, I'm glad I'm not the only one! That's exactly what I wanted to be, too - beautiful and strong enough to roughhouse with the boys! I've never played either of the games you mentioned. I'll have to look into those. Are those SNES games as well?
Last edited Feb 19, 2018 19:44:36 GMT -7 by Lottie
gimmeafrown Avatar
gimmeafrown GB Newbie *

Post by gimmeafrown on Feb 20, 2018 7:07:56 GMT -7

My video game experiences were limited to the arcade. This was back in the 80's. My go-to machines were Pac Man and Asteroids. Since I was mastering Pac Man fairly easily, I would start with Asteroids. I don't know why, but that was harder to master than Pac Man.
Lottie Avatar
Lottie GB Newbie *

Post by Lottie on Feb 21, 2018 12:34:35 GMT -7

gimmeafrown Avatar
My video game experiences were limited to the arcade. This was back in the 80's. My go-to machines were Pac Man and Asteroids. Since I was mastering Pac Man fairly easily, I would start with Asteroids. I don't know why, but that was harder to master than Pac Man.
Those are both great games! I agree, Asteroids is definitely more difficult to master. Although I remember having a tough time with Pac-Man when I was really young. Have you considered getting the Atari Flashback 8? My dad grew up playing in the arcades as well and he absolutely loved this when I got it for him last Christmas. It has all of the great classics, including both of these games!
ash Avatar
ash GB Gamer ***

Post by ash on Feb 21, 2018 13:28:01 GMT -7

Wait there's a Home Alone game? Why am I only finding out about this now? That's crazy. I love the Home Alone series so I would have absolutely loved this game when I was younger. In terms of games that were a staple in my childhood, I would probably say it was the Grand Theft Auto series. I actually didn't have a console when I was really young so I always looked forward to going to my cousins place so I could play either Grand Theft Auto Vice City or Grand Theft Auto 3.

A Forum For Those Looking To Earn Money Online | Redeem PayPal & Giftcards!
xxinfectedxx Avatar
xxinfectedxx GB Addict ****
Last edited Feb 22, 2018 10:34:01 GMT -7 by xxinfectedxx
elli Avatar
elli GB Staff *****

Post by elli on Feb 22, 2018 14:14:22 GMT -7

Lottie Avatar
Elli, Super Mario 64 is definitely one of the best N64 games, hands down. Do/did you always play a certain character in Mario Kart? I always had to be Yoshi. If someone else played him, I would be watching their screen at least 60% of the time. Ah, I remember the jet-skiing one. That was one of the default games it came with, I think. I believe it was called Wave Racer. I'm glad you and your step-brother could at least get along while you were playing video games! They're great for bonding.

It was Yoshi for me, too! For some reason he seemed "faster", but surely that wasn't true. My brother also preferred Yoshi, so I kept Peach or Luigi as alternatives.

Wave Race sounds right and the images on Google are familiar, so that must be what it was. Didn't realize it came with the console though!

Lottie Avatar
You know, I never played any of the Spyro games. I feel like I really missed out on that one. I guess I'll just have to give them a try during my adult years. Haha, there was some Barbie game on the Super Nintendo that I used to play a lot. I can't remember what it was called. My brothers absolutely hated it when I used to rent that one.

I'm not even sure what the allure for Spyro was, maybe something to do with being a dragon and being able to fly/breathe fire. The levels weren't particularly difficult, but it was really easy to lose hours trying to collect all the gems.

Maybe it was Barbie Super Model? Some of the screenshots shown on Google look familiar. The worst thing to a little boy is Barbie (rofl)
Lottie Avatar
Lottie GB Newbie *

Post by Lottie on Feb 25, 2018 21:18:02 GMT -7

Ash: There was at least a Home Alone 2 game. It looks like you can play it here if you really want to: www.playretrogames.com/3254-home-alone-2 Vice City and GTA III are classics.

xxinfectedxx: I'm probably showing my age, but I've never played anything on a 2DS before. I've never played The Sims on a console other than a PC. Is it just as good on 2DS?

Elli: I chose Yoshi for the same reason! He just seemed faster. Peach was one of my alternates as well, with Toad as a last resort (but my older brother always chose him so he was rarely an option for me). Wave Racer came with our console, I think. I could be wrong about that! Haha, well, there's always an allure to flying and breathing fire, right? Yes, that was the Barbie game! Oh man, trips down memory lane. I should find a way to get my hands on this game and bring it home to play in front of my brothers and see if they start groaning like they did back in the day.
megannatasha Avatar
megannatasha GB Addict ****

Post by megannatasha on Feb 25, 2018 23:03:23 GMT -7

Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, where do I start?? I have so many vivid memories of my childhood enjoying the old classic games. They brought me and my family great joy and a connection through fun and friendly competition. The adventure that a video game can take you on while you still have an open and imaginative mind is joyful.
thejason Avatar
thejason GB Gamer ***

Post by thejason on Mar 18, 2018 13:36:56 GMT -7

I'm around 41 years old, so when I was a kid it was Mario I and III, as well as Atari games like Pitfall Harry and Pole Position. Anyway, when I first saw the Nintendo system, as in the 1st one, I was shocked as it was the most advanced at the time. Of course, now, though, that's a joke.