GTA Vice City

Discussion
ash Avatar
ash GB Gamer ***

Post by ash on Feb 15, 2018 7:19:26 GMT -7

Anyone else loved Grand Theft Auto: Vice City? It was one of my favourite titles in the Grand Theft Auto series. There was just something about the way the game was that just made it so much fun. I guess it was the setting, the look of the game was amazing and the gameplay was great too. 

Has anyone played it recently?

A Forum For Those Looking To Earn Money Online | Redeem PayPal & Giftcards!
GamingLyfe Avatar
GamingLyfe GB Addict ****

Post by GamingLyfe on Feb 15, 2018 8:55:08 GMT -7

GTA: Vice City was one of the best released games of it's time. The game was a beautiful step up from GTA: III, and VC offered much more amazing atmosphere, a larger map, more weapons, a better soundtrack and an environment that you could interact with in more variety of ways. I was totally siked when I realized you could hire your own body guards and change your uniform, not to mention the new vehicles and how they displayed damage. To wrap it up, GTA: VC was amazing, and still is!

However, to answer your question, no, I haven't played it in some time now. Not that I wouldn't, just haven't.
Here to game and network with gamers alike, feel free to message me!
elli Avatar
elli GB Staff *****

Post by elli on Feb 15, 2018 11:44:57 GMT -7

GTA: Vice City was my first experience with the franchise. It was my favorite game for PlayStation 2, although not at all appropriate for a 10 year old lol. I'm not even sure how I convinced my mom to buy it for me; it was very clearly marked "M" for "mature", not to mention the bikini-clad women on the cover. I played it well into my late teens, until I packed up my PS2 for storage after I moved out. Didn't touch it again until maybe 2012 - 2013 when I tried to play on an HD TV. It looked terrible, basically unplayable, so I explored a little bit to satiate the nostalgia bug and then packed it away again...

I think my favorite part was the helicopters and tanks. I knew all the spots to find them (as well as cheats by memory) and would spend hours just rampaging, terrorizing all the little AI citizens. I would frequently go to the mall and rob all of the shops, shoot out their windows, garner a five-star wanted level, and then cheat to get rid of it when I was tired of outrunning the cops. The radio stations were also great; I loved the 80s songs and commercials. I will still occasionally say, "Sometimes I like to wear women's panties and walk around Fifth Street," from the Rusty Brown's Ring Donuts commercial. :D

GTA IV and V didn't end up holding the same nostalgia value, but still good games. They'll never be as good as Vice City, though. :)
Last edited Feb 15, 2018 11:47:35 GMT -7 by elli
ash Avatar
ash GB Gamer ***

Post by ash on Feb 16, 2018 15:11:13 GMT -7

elli Avatar
GTA: Vice City was my first experience with the franchise. It was my favorite game for PlayStation 2, although not at all appropriate for a 10 year old lol. I'm not even sure how I convinced my mom to buy it for me; it was very clearly marked "M" for "mature", not to mention the bikini-clad women on the cover. I played it well into my late teens, until I packed up my PS2 for storage after I moved out. Didn't touch it again until maybe 2012 - 2013 when I tried to play on an HD TV. It looked terrible, basically unplayable, so I explored a little bit to satiate the nostalgia bug and then packed it away again...

I think my favorite part was the helicopters and tanks. I knew all the spots to find them (as well as cheats by memory) and would spend hours just rampaging, terrorizing all the little AI citizens. I would frequently go to the mall and rob all of the shops, shoot out their windows, garner a five-star wanted level, and then cheat to get rid of it when I was tired of outrunning the cops. The radio stations were also great; I loved the 80s songs and commercials. I will still occasionally say, "Sometimes I like to wear women's panties and walk around Fifth Street," from the Rusty Brown's Ring Donuts commercial. :D

GTA IV and V didn't end up holding the same nostalgia value, but still good games. They'll never be as good as Vice City, though. :)
I had the same experience with San Andreas actually. I used to love playing the older Grand Theft Auto titles, I loved playing GTA 3 on my previous phone and could play it for hours on end without getting bored. But I bought GTA: San Andreas for my PS4 recently and I just did not enjoy it as much as I thought it would be. Maybe it's the fact that it was San Andreas and not Vice City, but there was just something about the game that I didn't like it. Maybe seeing the old graphics on such a large screen after playing beautiful games like GTA 5 and Watch Dogs 2 was the factor

elli Avatar
elli GB Staff *****

Post by elli on Feb 22, 2018 12:31:08 GMT -7

I think unconsciously comparing older games to new ones is definitely a factor. We've gotten so used to HD textures and high polygon counts that it's hard to appreciate these older games like we used to.

I'm really hoping that GTA: VI will return to Vice City.
Last edited Feb 22, 2018 12:31:28 GMT -7 by elli
ash Avatar
ash GB Gamer ***

Post by ash on Feb 22, 2018 12:45:40 GMT -7

elli Avatar
I think unconsciously comparing older games to new ones is definitely a factor. We've gotten so used to HD textures and high polygon counts that it's hard to appreciate these older games like we used to.

I'm really hoping that GTA: VI will return to Vice City.
Yeah. I mean Grand Theft Auto IV was so beautiful when we were still playing it and it was still the latest Grand Theft Auto title in the series. But I went back to it on the Xbox 360 a few months back and it just looked really poor. It was grainy, the colours were awful and it was crazy to think that the game was considered great and beautiful back then. I would love it if Vice City was the setting for the next Grand Theft Auto title. And I'm sure a lot of the GTA community would love it as well

xxinfectedxx Avatar
xxinfectedxx GB Addict ****

Post by xxinfectedxx on Mar 5, 2018 10:38:03 GMT -7

The game costs £4.99 on the app store and on the play store it's cheaper at a set price of £3.99. On my iPad, I've used my iOS store credit of 15 pound towards GTA Vice City and now I have remaining 10.01 pence. Storyline, Vehicles, everything is in this game and I love the missions.    
Last edited Mar 5, 2018 10:53:23 GMT -7 by xxinfectedxx
keranov Avatar
keranov GB Gamer ***

Post by keranov on Apr 14, 2018 23:59:22 GMT -7

Grand Theft: Auto Vice City is one of the best games from the series. Followed by GTA: San Andreas, they are the two games with the best storyline and memorable gameplay

It was my favourite video game back in the days. I have spent so many hours into it, more than 1000!

Vice City is also cheaper than Grand Theft Auto V. It is good that it is not overpriced like most games now.
skeetowns4 Avatar
skeetowns4 GB Newbie *
demarco Avatar
demarco GB Addict ****

empire Avatar
empire GB Gamer ***

Post by empire on May 31, 2018 5:09:37 GMT -7

I played all GTA games :) And I love them all. Even though I won't go back to the old, and vice city is very good regards to some options that I can say that I do miss, As I'm typing I feel like I want to start playing it right now. And still can play online with other players if you use third party.
Last edited Jun 1, 2018 9:57:13 GMT -7 by empire
meowsepad Avatar
meowsepad GB Newbie *

Post by meowsepad on Jul 5, 2018 9:20:20 GMT -7

I still play GTA: Vice City on a fairly regular basis. It's really the most creative and rich GTA experience to date with the best missions and most interesting gameplay, though GTA III and GTA IV are good as well.
Last edited Jul 5, 2018 9:20:38 GMT -7 by meowsepad
jimmy Avatar
jimmy GB Newbie *

Post by jimmy on Jul 23, 2018 8:08:19 GMT -7

elli Avatar

The nostalgia is real. I miss this game so much! I wish we still had quality games such as this title. The newer GTA's are awful in my opinion. They tried but they failed. I may have to try to find my PS2 & try to play some Vice City. On a said note as you mentioned, I have no idea how I convinced my parents either. I remember I would always ask if I could get GTA, it was always the same answer! No! I loved the helicopters & cheat codes. I remember trying to remember all my cheat codes, so that I didn't have to look on my notebook I rote them down in! XD
Last edited Jul 23, 2018 8:08:53 GMT -7 by jimmy
thebestgamerz Avatar
thebestgamerz GB Newbie *

Post by thebestgamerz on Jul 26, 2018 15:02:48 GMT -7

Recently, I have been playing a couple of the older GTA titles in 4k and when playing Vice City, a few things stood out;

1. The map can be pretty annoying to drive across, as the roads are not very wide and cars often pop in like 20 meters away from the camera.

2. Weapon aiming is a joke, you can have your aim on the head and it will often magically not hit, even a couple of foot away.

3. The lack of free camera when driving is annoying, especially when trying to glitch out the game.
demarco Avatar
demarco GB Addict ****