Idle Heroes

DiscussionReview
Nergal Avatar
Nergal GB Staff *****
Idle Heroes Posted Jan 19, 2018 13:17:25 GMT -7

Post by Nergal on Jan 19, 2018 13:17:25 GMT -7

I think that I installed this game either Sunday night or Monday morning, but for the sake of argument I will say I've been playing for about 4 to 5 days now.

I am playing as a F2P player because why the heck would I invest in micro-transactions for a cheap phone game?
In all seriousness though, the game so far has not been cramming the micro-transactions down my throat, the advertisements are pretty non-existent (option to watch a few videos a day for their freemium currency but the gems are unlock-able by playing as well).

The game contains a PvE campaign which you progress through stage by stage with different worlds of varying: lengths, difficulties and elemental alignments. Also, a separate PvE tower, which you climb floors of increasing difficulty for rewards.
There's an Arena for PvP, or at least you fighting whatever someone else left to defend their rank.
A guild system, with 'Raid boss' style fights that the guild has a set time to complete with awards going out to everyone that helped weighted more heavily towards those that did the most damage.
Similar raids that can be conducted with the people on your friends list.
Some single player PvE based raid system.

It's a whole bunch of waiting. Passive resource accumulation. It reminds me a lot of Summoners War which I played for like a weekend a few years back.
So 5ish days in and I have one 5star hero and a lineup of 4star heros, pretty much just grinding and hoping to get a few more 5stars soon because if it isn't 5star or up it's just going to become fusion fodder late game and I'm trying not to waste early resources.
Again, I haven't yet felt the need to buy anything because none of the things that I could pay money for would necessarily get me out of the rut I'm in.
Haven't figured out if I even like this game yet but it does help kill time I guess.

Nergal Avatar
Nergal GB Staff *****
Idle Heroes Posted May 21, 2018 16:57:56 GMT -7

Post by Nergal on May 21, 2018 16:57:56 GMT -7

Uninstalled this game about a month ago now.
I cleared the campaign of the game at which point it cycles back around at higher difficulty.
It's an Idle Game but progress is inconsistent; the game difficulty scales exponentially but the growth ability for leveling is logarithmic AND (even more annoying) rather if not completely random.
Consistent progress in the midgame is highly limited by the strength of your guild, even though the guild system doesn't feel very rewarding.
I maintain the fact that I never felt the need to buy into the micro-transaction system of the game because, while it would potentially speed up my progress, was still based on highly random elements.
There is no trading system and the game is a skinner box designed to entrap gamblers.

Game was ok for a while but I am not really about games where my progress is entirely dependent on hitting rare and specific parts of a drop-table consistently OR paying real money and hoping to do the former a little bit more effectively.