Do you install a game based on a trailer?

Question
claraviolet Avatar
claraviolet GB Newbie *

Post by claraviolet on Jan 6, 2018 8:23:38 GMT -7

Do you install games based on trailers?
As for me, I do love to see trailers before installing a game. Sometimes, I read reviews for judging a game. Anyway, I have installed there is no game, after watching it's trailer and it was just great.

So, anyone here watches trailer often for selecting new games?
Or do you still go for standard reviews?
Nergal Avatar
Nergal GB Staff *****

Post by Nergal on Jan 6, 2018 11:04:02 GMT -7

Trailer pique's interest, video of gameplay (seeing what the game is actually going to be like) decides whether or not I'll get it.
I pretty much ignore reviews, unless I can be sure that they come from people not paid to give a good review. I've learned to avoid the hype trains and wait for the product to be judged by my peers before paying for it.

xxinfectedxx Avatar
xxinfectedxx GB Addict ****
claraviolet Avatar
claraviolet GB Newbie *

Post by claraviolet on Jan 7, 2018 10:10:54 GMT -7

Okay. Looks like trailers does play an important role in a game's popularity. I am kinda surprised to know that.
I know visuals play an important role and all...but I thought it's the brand that make people judge a game these days.
Looks like I am wrong in so many aspects.
Jon Avatar
Jon GB Staff *****

Post by Jon on Jan 7, 2018 17:11:51 GMT -7

The trailer definitely means a lot to me on whether or not I'm going to buy the game, if I'm not impressed by the trailer, chances are I won't make much of an effort giving it a try. However, I still like to check reviews for the most part. It's almost like selecting a movie to watch, most times you can count on the trailer and reviews for a fair judgment of the film, other times you can't.
megannatasha Avatar
megannatasha GB Addict ****
ash Avatar
ash GB Gamer ***

Post by ash on Feb 13, 2018 12:15:22 GMT -7

For console games, yes. I always make sure to watch trailers, reviews from news blogs that played the game before launch and gameplay videos that have been released by the developers as well. This helps me figure out if the game is good enough for me and if it is a game that I will enjoy playing. In terms of mobile gaming, not really. I don't think I've ever bothered to watch a trailer for a mobile game, I just tend to look at the description and screenshots of the game that are available on the app page.

A Forum For Those Looking To Earn Money Online | Redeem PayPal & Giftcards!
xxinfectedxx Avatar
xxinfectedxx GB Addict ****

Post by xxinfectedxx on Feb 22, 2018 10:53:54 GMT -7

megannatasha Avatar
Trailers are definitely a huge influence on my decision to buy as well. Although if I've been playing a certain game for a while I'll usually grab the next release without much hesitation if it's been entertaining in the past.

Do you not read reviews to get a feel of the differences between the new release and the old version? I know I definitely do. Trailers give you a good idea about the game, aswell as doing research about the new game.
Last edited Feb 22, 2018 10:54:40 GMT -7 by xxinfectedxx
megannatasha Avatar
megannatasha GB Addict ****

Post by megannatasha on Feb 22, 2018 14:23:09 GMT -7

xxinfectedxx Avatar
megannatasha Avatar
Trailers are definitely a huge influence on my decision to buy as well. Although if I've been playing a certain game for a while I'll usually grab the next release without much hesitation if it's been entertaining in the past.
Do you not read reviews to get a feel of the differences between the new release and the old version? I know I definitely do. Trailers give you a good idea about the game, aswell as doing research about the new game.
I do, it's just I usually trust my judgment from the prior releases. Reviews are great, but I wouldn't base my purchase just on them, unless of course there was an overwhelming amount of negative reviews that were logical and I couldn't ignore the facts.
GamingLyfe Avatar
GamingLyfe GB Addict ****

Post by GamingLyfe on Feb 25, 2018 22:50:47 GMT -7

I usually try and do a thorough check into the game reviews and rating before purchasing, asking any friends(online or IRL) as well as watching trailers. You can't always be sure of any given source, but for the most part the general player-bases opinions are usually quite close to my own.
Here to game and network with gamers alike, feel free to message me!
Lanbo Avatar
Lanbo GB Addict ****

Post by Lanbo on Feb 25, 2018 23:50:29 GMT -7

I love the ridiculous ads for phone games where it's just some model like Kate Upton talking about the game. And all these games are like morphs of each other so their ads are so similar. As if sex sells or something. :o

But for actual games, when I look at the trailer and it looks good, I really like looking at gameplay to get a feel for the game from someone independent, like a Let's Play or a review on Youtube.
sig
gamingguy Avatar
gamingguy GB Newbie *
demarco Avatar
demarco GB Addict ****
Last edited Mar 24, 2018 17:27:02 GMT -7 by demarco

InMyOpinion Avatar
InMyOpinion GB Newbie *

Post by InMyOpinion on Apr 16, 2018 19:56:05 GMT -7

I do watch the trailer for a game if I am thinking of downloading it however, it isn't the only thing I look at before installing a game. I also look at the feedback/comments other users have left to make sure that I'm not going to be downloading something that is full of ads or not working properly. The one thing I dislike the most is downloading a game and you have ads on your phone even if you aren't playing the game. I also don't like when there are too many notifications for a game.

All in all, I definitely do watch a game trailer though I don't install a game solely based on the trailer.
keranov Avatar
keranov GB Gamer ***

Post by keranov on Apr 17, 2018 12:09:55 GMT -7

I always check the trailer of a game before I download or purchase it. I also look for gameplay videos in Youtube to find what the game really is and finally I read comments and feedback from members who have tried it. As an example I would give Dying Light. I am looking to purchase the game these months and with the screenshots which are uploaded in Steam I have loved the game. Will definitely try the Dying Light and if I do not like it I can request a refund.
Last edited Apr 17, 2018 12:10:56 GMT -7 by keranov