[Pokemon] When did you start playing Pokemon?

NintendoQuestion
Nergal Avatar
Nergal GB Staff *****

Post by Nergal on Jun 10, 2016 13:28:23 GMT -7

When did you start playing Pokemon? Do you still play?

I started playing Pokemon when I was 6 years old, after having previously been exposed to the show for a few years. I borrowed my friend's copy of Sapphire for a few weeks and then decided I had to get the game for myself.
Pokemon was my gateway into RPG games and it really changed the way I thought about games, it was the first game I had to actively think about how to improve in addition to the actual hours spent grinding away to 'beat' the game which I foolishly considered the important part. Basically it was the game that helped rewire my mind for thinking about stats and calculating risks to strategies as well as resource (in the case of pokemon mostly time) management, not that my priorities are in order according to society just that within a game I know how I should spend my time. 

And I do still play on occasion though not nearly as much. The newer games are getting progressively easier story-wise and though post-games are more expanse I feel as if there is little incentive to keep grinding these newer games.

demonskeith Avatar
demonskeith GB Newbie *

Post by demonskeith on Jun 11, 2016 20:59:08 GMT -7

Back when the games were first released, I got red on Gameboy and then yellow. Then I got the next few game releases as well up to Emerald. After that I really lost interest in the games since the newer games brought little new changes and required you to recollect all the growing pokemon numbers.
Last edited Jun 11, 2016 21:21:40 GMT -7 by Nergal
demarco Avatar
demarco GB Addict ****

DanthEx Avatar
DanthEx GB Staff *****
megannatasha Avatar
megannatasha GB Addict ****
xxdriftingaway Avatar
xxdriftingaway GB Newbie *
DudeThatsErin everywhere. :)
demarco Avatar
demarco GB Addict ****

fantanoice Avatar
fantanoice GB Newbie *

Post by fantanoice on Jun 19, 2018 7:04:51 GMT -7

My family started playing after being exposed to the show. My brother was first to get one - Pokemon Blue. He also bought Pokemon Stadium along with it because we didn't have a Game Boy. Soon after my sister got Red, then I got Yellow after that. I remember being disappointed that the battles were pick-some-text-in-a-menu rather than being able to move freely like the do in the Anime. I also remember naming my Pokemon things like "Chupika" because I noticed it gave them different colours in Stadium. So many memories. :P
Aussie Game Developer. Let me know your favourite podcast.
Saints4ever Avatar
Saints4ever GB Gamer ***

Post by Saints4ever on Sept 4, 2018 20:25:29 GMT -7

I started playing when Red and Blue came out ^_^
I remember getting Yellow when I was like 5 and I used to play a lot...like all day every day... I also remember playing pokemon snap and stadium. I loved that you could load your team from your game into stadium and play them on the console to battle the elite 4. I also loved playing my gameboy via stadium. Larger screen was lit.

I think I stopped playing after Ruby and Sapphire. Honestly the friends I hung out with all didnt play so I lost interest after playing so much alone. Fast forward to highschool and everyone was playing on emulators in class and then in college some of my friends play..and they still play now. But I just dont really play games anymore =(
Help is only a Bubble away...
Andrew Avatar
Andrew GB Regular **

Post by Andrew on Sept 13, 2018 6:32:07 GMT -7

Pokemon came out when I was very young (#OlderThanPokemon), so I had the chance to experience the tv series, games, and trading card game (TCG) from the beginning onward. Red and Blue were the first one's I got on my original GB, but Yellow was the one I played the heck out of on my GBC. Then, I played all the stadium games and hey you pikachu (lame game btw). Then, the TCG was all the rage and I had sooooooo many cards and I loved playing ... until Yugioh stole the thunder. Eventually, life moved on and I never looked back at Pokemon until Niantic released Pokemon Go. I had a great rush of nostalga until that hype died down, too. Now, I play it ever so often when I remember and enjoy the gentle nod to my younger years being way too engrossed in the series. I'll always enjoy the original 151 (and at one point I was pretty good at naming them off), but I'll let the newer generations of kids enjoy the series and next-gen pokemon. :)
Last edited Sept 13, 2018 6:36:27 GMT -7 by Andrew
Andrew
vedraii Avatar
vedraii GB Regular **

Post by vedraii on Sept 14, 2018 5:15:00 GMT -7

I started playing when Red came out and played for a few years. Even if a new generation had come out, I was too attached to Red to move on. Afterwards, I just lost interest for a while but my current partner rekindled that interest. I have played the most recent games a bit but I mostly like watching other people play. We have also started watching the last season of the anime and it's quite good!
oo Avatar
oo GB Gamer ***

Post by oo on Nov 7, 2018 9:49:28 GMT -7

I started playing back when I was a child. I remember when my grandfather bought me the GameBoy Color, I used to play Pokemon. How old was I? Like 5-6 years old? I do not honestly remember.
But all I can say is that I was born with Pokemon, and I still feel nostalgia when we are talking about it.
ash Avatar
ash GB Gamer ***

Post by ash on Nov 20, 2018 7:06:06 GMT -7

It's weird but the first Pokemon game that I actually played was Pokemon Go. I never really was into Pokemon as a kid, I think I just was never introduced to it properly. But my friend loved Pokemon Go so I thought I would try it and I loved it for about a week or two. Other than that, I have never really played any other Pokemon games and I barely understand some of the attacks really.

A Forum For Those Looking To Earn Money Online | Redeem PayPal & Giftcards!
GamingLyfe Avatar
GamingLyfe GB Addict ****
Here to game and network with gamers alike, feel free to message me!
haze Avatar
haze GB Newbie *

Post by haze on Nov 20, 2018 13:55:22 GMT -7

Oh lord, I must have started playing Pokemon back when I was about 8-10 and I loved it. Still do in fact. I'm actually charging up my DS now to keep me occupied on my plane ride to Italy next week, hopefully I can smash my way through a gym or two to make the plane ride go quicker! I tend to stick to Pearl/Diamond though, not sure why but they just are my faves!